Fall Ice Hockey season:
Cost depends upon several variables. We have strived to make Youth Hockey as affordable as possible. Here is an outline which will help you determine what the cost *could* be for your child.
By all means, if your child wants to participate, do not let cost slow you down. Call us and we will work with you to make it happen.
- All participants must register with USA Hockey or re-register after August 1st, 2012 To Register Click HERE! Children 6 and under register for free but must still register to participate and must pay a $20 registration fee to the High Plains Youth Hockey Association. Registration for children 7 and up is $40 annually for USA Hockey plus $8 for the regional association (Mid West Amateur Hockey Association) and an additional $20 for the High Plains Youth Hockey Association.
- Required minimum equipment: Minimum required equipment on the ice includes an approved helmet, gloves (heavy work gloves will do until you can get hockey gloves), stick (we have them for $10), mouth piece (required for kids 9 and up - WalMart has them for about $1 - and, of course, skates which you can rent or buy (we recommend purchase which actually costs less than rental over the course of a whole season - we have some Youth sized skates available or you can buy online at websites such as HockeyMonkey.com, TotalHockey.com, Ebay, or just google "hockey skates").
- Lease Equipment: Thanks to a generous donation from Magouirk Chevrolet in Dodge City we are able to provide a few starter equipment sets for a refundable rental deposit of $70 based upon condition when returned. These sets include: Helmet, Shoulder Pads, Elbow Pads, Shin Pads, Hockey Pants (padded), Jersey, Gloves and a stick. They will fit children up to about age 10 depending upon their size. These sets come in only two sizes - youth small and youth large. If you have registered with USA Hockey (above) contact Magouirk Chevrolet to see if they have a starter set which will fit your child. You must take your USA Hockey registration Confirmation Number with you. Additionally, please email a copy of that number to the HPYHA registrar HERE so we know you are ready to play.
- Larger Sizes: For kids too big for the "Starter Sets" we have a lot of used equipment available for loan. It will be necesssary for you to obtain a Helmet, Gloves and Stick at a minimum. Contact us and we'll see if we can fulfill your child's needs. Beyond that you can purchase equipment fairly reasonably priced through one of many clearance sales online at a reasonable price. Go to our "LINKS" page above for pointers to some of those websites. You may also be able to purchase used equipment for the child through Ebay.
- Skates: Hockey Skate rental is available at the United Wireless Arena for $3 per class/practice/game and we have a 20 game season (two per week) for a total skate rental cost of $60. However, children not only find having their own skates easier (they fit!) but they can be purchased online for around $50 and then sold as used when the child outgrows them. The cost is less than renting.
- Ice Time: The High Plains Youth Hockey Association has negotiated a non-binding agreement with the City of Dodge City and the United Wireless Arena. CARGILL may again partner with the United Food and Commercial Workers union to donate partial funding and we have applied for grants sufficient to cover the cost of our 2013 ice time!! Be sure to thank MAGOUIRK CHEVROLET, CARGILL and UFCW when you see them... or write a thank-you letter to the City of Dodge City, United Wireless Arena and Ford County.